Today has been interesting to say the least. I had a job interview at the university here, and I was so worked up emotionally about the interview I am completely exhausted tonight. It's interesting, the position I applied for isnt that glamourous, but it's something I could be proud to do, and that counts for something. But, it also brings up a bunch of other questions....
I had already started making a path in another career (with my grandmother nonetheless, which adds another layer of complication), and then all of a sudden, this opportunity comes along unexpected. Well, not completely unexpected... I mean, I did apply for the job. BUT, I applied MONTHS ago and I really kinda forgot about it. So now I'm torn. If I dont get the university job, then I dont have any big decisions to make. But, if I do... I dont know what's going to happen. I might be disinherited... haha... kidding... kinda.
So, this makes me think, and as a friend pointed out to me today-- I need to decide what I actually want to do with my life. I have always known that I want to be a horse breeder-- hence the Ph.D. in the field, but I sometimes question that path as an actual "real job". The next question then becomes, do I really need a "real job?" Does that old saying "Do what you love and the money will follow" ever ring true? What about my family? How pissed with Grandma really be?
OK-- so let's sort some things out:
1) Current job and going to work with Grandma pays a very very small hill of beans, but has a greater earning potential.
2) University job pays good and offers benefits and retirement...
3) University job is SOMEWHAT related to my degree....
hhmmm...
Sure, that seems like a simple decision, and I admit seeing it in black and white makes things a little more cut and dry... but geez!
No comments:
Post a Comment