So, we have landed us in QUITE A FEW hotels/motels/no-tells around Texas lately. Consider Brent and I at-your-service and proudly doing the leg-work on where to stay and where NOT to stay in your own future adventures. Here's my take on the "budget-friendly" ($100 a night or less) temporary housing offered in our great state.
Holiday Inn Express-- Hands down my favorite, but unfortunately, the most expensive on this list. Plan on dropping about $100/night. Fresh comfy sheets, non-down duvets (my allergies can't handle the real deal), and a selection of either soft or firm pillows (labelled via pillow case) on each bed. I would probably live here if I could. Holiday Inn Express completely satisfies my OCD need to label things. With them, I will never be tricked by a soft pillow when expecting a firm pillow. They don't even spit on your toothbrush or pilfer through your things while you are gone from your room. Has a nice rewards system for frequent guests. Overall Score: A
La Quinta Inn and Suites-- Q: Do you know what "La Quinta" means in Spanish? A: Next to Denny's! Haha! OK, that's an old joke, but Brent and I say it everytime we pull into a La Quinta parking lot (which is frequently since it's our favorite place to stay when visiting the fine folks at MD Anderson). More seriously, we actually met the original Quinta family, and they are really nice people! You would never know they have a Scrooge McDuck-style swimming pool if you just casually visited with them! In any case-- consistently clean, always comfy (thanks to their Simmons Beautyrest mattresses), great rewards program, and yes, often located next to Denny's. Moon Over My Hammie anyone? Overall Score: A- (only because they don't label their pillows)
Econolodge-- Fortunately, the questionable Econolodge of El Paso of my youth has replaced. My more recent stays in Econolodges (also often, as it's my second choice when we are at MDA) has been much more enjoyable. However, I will admit that the rooms even at the SAME motel vary widely in decor and overall quality. Beds are OK for a night, but I wouldn't plan on staying much longer. I don't like their provided shampoo or soap. AND I LEFT MY SONICARE TOOTHBRUSH IN OUR ROOM THE FIRST TIME WE STAYED HERE AND "SOMEONE" TOOK IT AND DIDN'T TURN IT IN TO LOST AND FOUND (TRUST ME, I'VE CALLED AND ASKED REPEATEDLY). I hope someone out there is enjoying my toothbrush. Overall Score: D- OK... If my toothbrush showed back up (or that incident never happened) they would easily score B. I'm biased.... and this blog isn't a democracy.
Motel 6-- I have been a fan of Motel 6 for a long time because of their cleanliness and cheap rates. Plus, I love Tom Bodett (check out his website). Until we stayed at the Motel 6 over by the Houston Medical Center, I really had nothing bad to say. Usually, you really get MORE than you pay for. However, Motel 6 over off of South Main is hit or miss. Sometimes you get a clean smoke-free room, sometimes you get a room with obvious signs of previous drug use. I'm not exaggerating. This site also only offers internet services in the rooms closest to the freeway (where we always request the side away from the freeway so we can actually sleep). Overall Motel 6 Rating: B. Motel 6 on South Main in Houston Rating: D.
Swiss Lodge (Blanco, Texas)-- Sleep in your car! UUO's (Underwear of Unidentified Origin) in the corner of our room... dirty dirty dirty. DIRTY. A/C didn't work well AND it was $90/night. Overall Score: F-. You won't catch me staying here again.
On another completely unrelated note, I love The Oatmeal. This guy's a comedian and he always cracks me up. Check out the latest: How Commercial Airplanes SHOULD be Laid Out...
Other Oatmeal favorites (when you need a pick-me-up):
How to Pet a Kitty
How to Use a Semicolon (if only gradeschool grammar was this fun...)
15 Things Worth Knowing About Coffee
Why We Should be Eating Horses Instead of Riding Them (I admit, some parts of this one are a little crude, but I still cry because I laugh so hard at other parts...)
No comments:
Post a Comment